View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 635
OK...so its May by now and most of the people I know are aware of my upcoming trip. Most cannot believe my wife is letting me go. There seems to be a lot of chatter about it in my office. Us nerdy engineers rarely get out of the labs; let alone ride solo across the country on a motorcycle. The mere thought of it seems to be generating quite a stir. I'm like the Ted Simon of my dorky little corner of the world.

So then about mid-May, one of my buddies, M!ke, comes strolling into my office and is perusing my map...he rides a Victory Vegas...a fun bike for around town...loud pipes...chrome...giant front wheel...not much in the way of creature comforts...typical cruiser bike. Conversation goes something like this...

"So, you getting ready for your big trip?"

"Pretty close; fresh oil change, new rain suit, packing list, and new tires before I leave "

"Huh...sounds pretty cool"

"Yup"

"I've never taken a long motorcycle trip"

"That's too bad, you should do it someday"

"Yeah, I've got a lot of vacation time saved up"

"Nice"

"I'm still sitting on the money I was going to use fo rmy garage"

"Good for you, you should spend it on something fun or getting going on the garage."

"How far are you going?"

"6 or 7 thopusand miles I expect; unless something bad happens"

"So you're going by yourself?"

"That's the plan."

So we dance around like this for a few minutes...maybe longer. The entire time we're talking, I'm doing the math in my head of what it would likely mean for my planned trip to bring a guy on a cruiser bike, who has never rode more than 200 miles in a day, doesn't have the strongest interest in geography or motorcycle mechanics, and is not exactly my perfect match when it comes to schedule and general lifestyle. I keep the small talk going as long as I can while I try to figure out a WAY OUT that won't negatively affect our friendship.

Hondarider screwed with this post 08-31-2013 at 04:11 PM
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote