View Single Post
Old 07-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #65
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
The news was exciting but ... time to move on with preparation. I spent a while at Causeway KTM this morning trying on some new bling gear. Lets see what sort of special deal they can organise with the distributor.

The other day I emailed them through a list of bits to get me prices and availability. Anyone want to shout me a piston kit for a 450 Rally Factory Replica? This kit has a piston, a pair of rings, a gudgeon pin and a pair of gudgeon clips. You have to buy the head gasket separately I think. Maybe you could buy me two, seeing as they're so cheap?? Only $3,962ea RRT.

So I decided to check the valve clearances instead. Gosh, this thing is quite different to the 530EXC!

Cam chain only drives an intermediate shaft which then uses gear drive to drive the cams. Shims are smaller diameter (9mm as opposed to 10mm of the EXC) than all my spares. One inlet valve was a little close, so I'll order a range of shims to finish the job. Hopefully they're just 450SX-F shims and not "rally" prices.

I also intended to service the forks but found they're very different to the usual kit too. No spring to be seen, manual talks about 1.2B of gas pressure, closed cartridge, oil level measured with cartridge removed but I wasn't game to try removal. So they're off to the suspension shop next week.

Cleaned a few more parts though. Tomorrow I'll adjust the steering off-set from the standard 20mm to 22mm. Hopefully I'll get to see how that feels before crating it up. (Should be a little more stable for high speed and reduce the tendency to "tuck in" on tight sandy corners). Apart from that I'll have to work out a way to get the swingarm off without the forks being back in, now that they'll be delayed a little.

Ciao
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88

JayBo1 screwed with this post 07-20-2013 at 09:55 AM
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote