View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #27
benthic
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
i'm kind of resurrecting an old one, but I found this thread to be pretty helpful as I had to fix a stripped shaft drain too.

I got one (actually 2 since i didn't understand how they worked) of the Dorman self-tapping oversize drain plugs. it mostly went alright, but i bent a part of the final drive (crap!). i did exactly what I was afraid of doing. the length of the oversize plug hit the FD and pushed it in. you can see it in the pictures. luckily it is not a problem any time soon. on the plus side I think it is sealing pretty good though.
in the pics, the large plug is a 14x1.5 which i bought first because i didn't understand that the oversize was built in. I thought I had to buy a larger size plug. the little one is an oversize 12x1.75 (which is not the correct plug of 12x1.5, but i figured it would work) that I used to tap the hole (i had to keep shortening the plug) and then cut down to the correct length.

thanks for the help all!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote