View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #1226
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,890
Just a reminder about three big factors in motorcycle disasters; fatigue, heat and dehydration. The motorcycle community lost another legend and her funeral is today. She lost her life on another long trip near the Barbor Motorsports Complex in Alabama. She is legend in the Iron Butt community, you can read some about her here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898572
I have made several long distance trips with her over the years when she was in her 70's. She looked pretty rough in the mornings, when we got on our bikes but as the day progressed she would sit up straighter and look more refreshed, I was just the reverse.
Her loss a few weeks ago really reminded me of how we push ourselves too far too often. That is why I am very observant about my reaction time and mental state as these big three wear on thru the day. I also spent a few months researching these same types of issues when I worked for the Air Force and these issues tend to raise their ugly head in an insidious way affecting reaction time and judgement.

Ardys Kellerman was part of our extended family when we lived in Austin Texas and a frequent visitor to our home in Idaho. We already miss her.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote