View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 12:06 AM   #67
BanhXeo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Burt and I ride the High Lakes

I have been falling behind pretty miserably here with the RR's so I will try to update this between jobs the next couple days.
We have been experiencing particularly hot weather for late June and early July this year...all the more reason to head for the hills and RIDE!

My good buddy and co-worker Burt bought a KTM 500 EXC-f a few months back and we try to get away once a week and head somewhere. July 1st was scheduled to be 112 degrees here in Chico so we decided to head up to the High Lakes at ~6500ft we thought we could escape the heat at least while we were up there. Its a pretty technical route so my weapon of choice was the KTM 350.

We headed up and out of Butte Creek Canyon via Centerville rd which offers spectacular views, gravel rd and very light, if any, traffic.

Burt hadn't been to Bald Mountain Lookout tower, so we took Powelton rd to Skyway then doubled back to Stirling City and rode Retson Rd up to the Lookout.

A look up to Mt. Lassen. The snow has all but melted completely in less than a month.

A look back at the canyon we came up and Chico in the background

Looking towards the High Lakes area, Feather River Canyon, Highway 70 and beyond.

At 6000ft we decided to stop into the Philbrook Lake area for some water and a quick break before hitting the OHV area. It was approaching 100 degrees around this time and it wasn't even 9am...gonna be a long day

We get hydrated finish off some jerky and a 'nola bar and head out. Next stop Spring Valley Lake and the rest of the High Lakes OHV area.

This is my WIFE, here are my BIKES, and these are my STORIES: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897188
BanhXeo is offline   Reply With Quote