View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #24
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Well, the point is don't ride beyond your skill level to make the pass like I've been told to do in shorter races. The thought is, if you blow by someone, you psychologically beat him at the same time and he won't battle you for the position. I don't think that's the best method in a race of this length. If you try to pass and he upps his game, stay patient. Don't ride over your head, hang back and wait. The right opportunity will come. Otherwise, you might push too hard at the wrong time, say, before the wind has blown his dust aside, tag a rock and go careening off the road. That sucks!

Early on in the '06 race I had caught a Pro quad and I was trying to work my way through his dust to show him a wheel. It was early in the morning so there was no wind and the damned stuff would just hang in the air. I was pushing really hard to get close to him so he would know I was there. Then I hit a large rock hidden in the dust. Luckily I hit it square and went straight up instead of deflecting off to the side. I backed off and was soon passed by one of my competitors in the ironman class who thought he could push through the dust. Eventually we hit a wide open valley and the wind kicked up. The guy ahead of me finally stuck a wheel inside the quad who quickly pulled over. The guy on the bike messed up and stalled his engine and I got them both. I never saw either of them again after that. Oh, and by the midpoint in the race, word in the pits was that the guy who stalled passing the quad had wrecked so badly that he couldn't continue - and this was directly from his pit crew.

Especially for the ironmen in this race, you're starting behind all of the pro bike classes, all of the expert bike team classes and the pro quad classes and, in the case of the amateur ironmen, you're starting behind all of the amateur team classes as well (and maybe the expert quads, too if Casey remains consistent in his starting order). This means that you'll probably spend a little more time passing than your average team will because you've got all of the "slow guys on the team" ahead of you at one point or another. Consequently, you'll probably spend a lot of time getting passed as well because of the "fast guys on the team". Let em go. They're not your concern unless you're battling for overall position, which is foolish for your average rider in the ironman class. Let the pros who drop into the expert ironman class and want to prove something getting the overall solo try to battle for overall position with fresh team riders.

yellowbronco screwed with this post 07-25-2013 at 06:59 AM
yellowbronco is offline   Reply With Quote