View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #45
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
If you have less area below the piston, to do the same work, a higher pressure is needed. Higher pressures increase wear and need upgraded and more expensive materials. And the oil shears down quicker. Rebound damping is important.

So shaft diameter IS quite important and WAS chosen for many reasons. Or do not believe me and my years of hydraulic system design experience.

Rod

Whoa buddy. Let's make it clear that no one was indicting you or your years of experience, so you can take a deep breath.

I just don't believe that Wilbers decided that a smaller shaft diameter was a good idea based on that information. I think they probably had that shaft from a previous shock and thought it would work fine on the GS, which is clearly not the case. It sounds like precisely the sort of answer invented afterward to justify such a wispy component.

I just spent 6,100 miles, two-up and loaded for 3 weeks of camping on my 1150, riding some really stupid trails which they called 'unmaintained roads' one day (four crashes) and 91 mph super slab out of Montana the next. All of it two-up and loaded. I am certainly happy that my shock did not fail. Nor did my fluid boil, seals blow, or high pressure detonate the shock body.

I'll stick with Ohlins.

PS
Happy TasK wasn't hurt when his shock failed. And I'm really happy he received a new shock for free. But I wish he would sell that thing and install something else.

What if next time he is injured-- who will maintain the GSpot FAQ?

(not it)
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is online now   Reply With Quote