View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
ADVBMR
Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
About the rear end collision: I have to wonder why these guys were following the car when it appears there were two Northbound lanes at that point. I wasnt there, may have been traffic in both lanes. But I do see a skid mark in the right lane that must have come from the second bike. Hmm ...
Didn't look like the right lane was about to end. Id sure like to know if & how long that car used his turn signal & how quick he slowed.
That pullout should be blocked off from all traffic, period. It's an extreme hazard. Four years ago, I lost sight of my riding partner so I waited 3 or 4 minutes at the Tesoro, then headed back north to find her. She pulled into that turnout and I remember how uncomfortable I felt waiting for the oncoming to clear so I could turn left. There simply was no exit plan to be had. Everyone powers up on that straight stretch headed north, and in the late afternoon it's right into the sun. The turnout isn't necessary for southbound traffic and what happened in this instance is exactly why it's an extreme hazard for the northbound traffic.

The man who died is the father of a coworker. Very sad. I understand he was very well liked.
IBA #47244
2007 R1200GS; 2006 DL650 V-Strom; 2011 F800R; 2013 CRF250L; 1995 R1100GS (sold); 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620 dark (sold)
ADVBMR is offline   Reply With Quote