View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #59
Nanabijou OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdn View Post
Cool RR! Nice to see it's actually possible to make such a trip with a small bike. Really makes me reconsider the CBR 250R instead of a 600ccm bike...

Could you tell me more about the saddlebags and how they are attached to the bike? Looks cool...
I have the Ortlieb waterproof saddlebags. Love them. They never leak. And I won't have to worry about stopping and attaching waterproof raincovers when it rains ever again. The Ortliebs have two Velcro straps that connect the bags to each other. I have the rear-most strap positioned under my pillion seat and the front-most strap across the rear of my seat. I find that having one strap under the seat contributes some extra stability to the setup. And there isn't any noticeable discomfort in sitting on the other strap. One thing I noticed quickly was that - when loaded - the bottom of each saddlebag was tilting inward - too close to the rear wheel. The fix involved using the carabiner bungeys that secured the camp cot. After attaching the bungeys to the rack - I wrapped them around the cot a few times - then attached them to rings on each saddle. There was enough tension on the bungeys to lift each saddle up and nicely away from the rear-wheel.

You can see one of the bungey cords attached to the saddlebag ring in this photo.

And here is what the setup looks like from behind. You can see one of the bungeys connected to the rack (with the carabiner) and wrapped around the cot.

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 02:20 PM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote