View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Apisbiker OP
10 years world tour
Apisbiker's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: France
Oddometer: 6
Can I leave alone my French number plate motorbike in USA for 6 months?


I am doing a world tour with a BMW R1150 GS Adventure since 2014, see

I am in Baja California in Mexico and I am planning to enter for the first time in USA at Tecate border check point on the 1st of August 2013 (i already have my online ETSA visa). My questions:

1. Some small border check point doesn’t care about your bike and stamp nothing, but I want to be legal. Do you know if I can do the bike paper work in Tecate or do I have to go to the hell Tijuana? I have the EPA exemption letter and the form 3250-1 ready.

2. I am planning to leave my motorbike on the West coast of USA from mid-September 2013 to mid-April 2014 and go by plane to Europe to see my family. I asked by email the EPA block if it is possible, he answer was:

"NO, you can not leave the vehicle here when you return to Europe. The Terms and Conditions of the exemption state the vehicle must leave the US when you do, for any reason and any length of time. It must return to Europe and you must send export documents to us. And, you can not send it to Canada or Mexico to be considered exported"

But I heard that some non-resident US have left their bike for a while without problem (specially when no bike info is on your passport, as it is for USA). So where is the trick?

I really have to leave USA mid-September but I don't want to take my bike with me on the plane to Europe. I want to finish my 10 years round the world tour by visiting Canada and Alaska from April to July 2014! Please help me not shorten my trip...

For your prompt answers in advance thank you :-)

Gilles RATIA
Mobile: +33 6 07 68 49 39
Gilles RATIA
"Beekeeping" World tour on a BMW 1150 GS Adventure
Apisbiker is offline   Reply With Quote