Thread: Starting
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
Beezer Josh OP
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
First shalt thou Depress the Holy Tickler Pin until fuel dribbles out the overflow tube in the bottom of the float bowl. Then, shalt thou Pump the throttle seven times. No more. No less. Seven shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be seven. Eight shalt thou not count, nor either count thou six, excepting that thou then proceed to seven. Ten is right out. Once the number seven, being the seventh number, be reached, then crack the throttle by one-in-eight and hit the starter button. And the engine will start, and the people will feast upon the lambs and sloths and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and large chu--
Haha! Awesome Bill! I just checked on this thread and it made me laugh. I offered to help a friend move a deceased sister's house this weekend, so haven't had the opportunity to install the new spark plugs and ride.

As for sucking in the gasket, it's not. I changed it out, had the same problems, and pulled it apart to verify it was in the correct location-no sucked in gasket. Anyone tried anaerobic gasket maker in this application? I've used it on oil pumps-where you definitely don't want globs clogging the lubrication system-with great success.

On a different note, and one to which this thread has shifted, I love the extended ticklers on my old Amal carbs. My BSA starts up MUCH better in the cold (or any time for that matter) than the BMW and I don't get gasoline on my hands. The only downside is that the area just under the ticklers is gas stained...it comes off with a bit of carb cleaner though. However, I rebuilt that bike not for show, but to be ridden!
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote