Old 07-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #82
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Day 6

Day 6 June 26, 2013
Hyder, Ak to Boya Lake, BC
395 miles

Up at the crack of dawn to go see the salmon glacier. Yay right, not after you've been "hyderized". Plus I'm not sure there is a crack of dawn.

The road to the Salmon Glacier was fun because you can see the glacier from long ways off but you know that you're only seeing a tiny piece of it so the anticipation builds as you approach.

At the end of the road the views are spectacular. You hear this all the time but the pictures do not do it justice. If you get the chance, go see it. Too bad it was over cast but we are lucky it wasn't totally socked in. The sign was put there by a guy selling bear fight DVD's and post cards in case you forgot what you had just rode 1500 mile to see. More on that later.

So as I got to the end of the road the first thing I noticed before the glacier was a little stand set up with a sign advertising bear fight DVD's and post cards. For what ever reason that irritated me. 25 miles up a dead end dirt rode out in the middle of nowhere and someone wants to sell me something. Dean is a nicer guy than I am so after were get pictures and see the sights he strikes up a conversation with the guy. He's retired and lives in eastern Canada but comes over here every year and spends the summer. He makes all the DVD's and post cards himself. In the evenings he goes hiking and shoots video and stills and during the days he edits and sells them to the folks who show up. He does it all just for fun and sells the stuff to cover his costs. Nice guy and knew all about the area. I felt bad for being irritated earlier. Dean bought a DVD for $10 but by the time we got home the case was in a million pieces and the DVD was pretty beat up.

On the way back just below the glacier you could see several of these green pools next to the river.

Lunch in Stewart. Surprisingly the restaurants there are kind of fancy. I had french onion soup and dean had halibut. On the menu it said the halibut was served rare and the waitress repeated this. The people behind us were from Oklahoma and wanted seafood. They both ordered the halibut but were a bit scared about the rare part. When Dean got his food he pronounced "Its a good thing I like sushi because this thing is RAW!" This freaked the lady from Oklahoma out and she begged the waitress to have the chef "cook" the fish. The waitress said she would ask. When their food came it was cooked through and they were happy.

This is the bear glacier. You can see it from the highway on the way in and out of town. Quite the puny lame-ass glacier compared to the salmon. Dean was so unimpressed he never shut the motor off. He just stopped looked and moved on.(We actually stopped to see it on the way in also.)

Headed north on the Cassiar Highway. One of many steel grate decked bridges we crossed. The grates make your bike wander all over the place. I new this bothered dean a bit so I always sped up and went across them as fast as I could just to show him I wasn't scared.

We had just come from the town of Dease Lake where we were planning to stay. It was raining cats and dogs and were didn't feel like setting up camp in the rain. The motel was full and the restaurant was closed. It was late and we were tired but we motored on.

Glad we did. Found a nice place to camp at Boya Lake. The weather changed. It was warm and dry.

Dean had every flavor of mountain house meal meal made. I think we both made it back home with more meals than we ate.

This was the first time on the trip we had any mosquitos. They weren't really that bad but I didn't want to pack all this skeeter stuff for nothing.
ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote