Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #30
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed ADV View Post
My goal is to get that 690 of mine as comfortable as possible to get down the
slab, so when I get to the real part of the ride "the trails" I'm not exhausted
and still have a 300 pound bike with 75 hp.
300 lbs. with all your gear on board? 75 HP? I'd like to find that Dyno you got 75 HP out of! (60 HP in stock form is more realistic) Still, way stronger than my 35 HP DR650! But on an ADV travel bike, HP isn't everything ... in fact ... it's good for nothing.

If you ever get out of the Northwet ... and more than 1000 miles from home, I'd say at that point you'll start learning what compromise really is, and what works for YOU. The reality for many is that ADV Travel (or RTW) won't take you to pristine single track everyday. If you do find good trail riding, I'd suggest unloading your bike and ride Day Loops, take only basics.

If your desire is to ride single track or trails everyday ... then you're on the wrong bike ... and you'd be better off staying close to home as Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Nor Cal have some of the BEST trail riding IN THE WORLD ... and I'd rather have a KTM 500 for that. For good trails, the grass is NOT greener anywhere else. But RTW type travel is very different.

As mentioned, on the long road in international situations all your priorities can change and ideas about "what bike is best" may shift. Good luck out there. It'd be nice to see more 690 riders getting out and doing RTW ... with success and lack of problems.

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 11:18 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote