View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #87
Hondarider OP
Hero of the Stupid

Oddometer: 635
When we last saw the Dynamic Duo, they were weaving through Denver traffic in full blown denial...like those squids you see in flip flops and shorts on a Hayabusa during spring break...shameful...truly.

We were in search of a place called the Keg Steakhouse and Bar where we were assured a decent steak and cold beer. We had ridden roughly 650 miles through rain, high winds, and scorching 100 degree weather...we were 2 timezones off of our normal clocks, it was getting dark, and, whether it was the fatigue, the dehydration, or the altitude, I was feeling especially dopey.

I had left the GPS in the hotel because I was sure that my finely tuned sense of direction and desire for red meat would lead me directly to the restaurant. After 2 or 3 u-turns, Mike was starting to wonder why he had followed me across the country and how we had managed to even find Colorado.

We finally found the restaurant and opted to eat at the bar. That first cold beer was gone inside of 15 seconds and a second was right behind it. The steak was very good...Mike declared that it was the best steak he had ever eaten (he's never been to Texas or Kansas City) and we enjoyed the attractive wait staff...at least I did...I'm creepy like that. I called it quits after 2 beers - congratulating myself on my discipline and good judgement. I was anxious to get to bed so we decided to head back to the hotel as soon as the steaks were gone.

We got up from the bar to make our exit and, as I stumbled across the room, knocking over stools in my wake, I suspected that something was amiss. Mike, who is a much stronger drinker than I, seemed to be having some problems of his own. We got out the door, ambled over to the bikes, and came to the startling revelation that we were drunk. Like drunk...inebriated...intoxicated...ossified...WTF? I only had 2 beers...I was careful...conscientious...the model of responsibility...and now I'm standing/stumbling in the parking lot...wondering if someone had slipped me Rufinol in my garlic mashed potatoes. I bet it was Mike! He's been eyeing me desirously in the hotel room and suggesting we hit the hot tub! He's been planning this the entire time! Oddly, however, he seems to be likewise intoxicated...I'm sure its just a clever ruse so that I'll let my guard down. I'm not falling for it! Not this time...not again...

Anyhow, amidst my theorizing about how I came to find myself in this predicament, another thing occurred to me; it was dark out...like middle of the night dark...like "who turned out the lights?" dark...where did the sun go? Apparently, when you position yourself directly at the eastern foot of a mountain range, you should not expect a long and gradual sunset...it goes behind the mountains and poof!...it's gone. The temps drop too!

So, our two heros find themselves drunkenly loitering in a dark parking lot...thousands of miles from home...shorts...t-shirts...no helmets...and thank God for this, wearing sunglasses.

This is not exactly the adventure I was looking for...

Hondarider screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 02:23 PM
Hondarider is offline   Reply With Quote