View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #370
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 677
Going Backwards to Go Forward

Getting the bike legal for the lower class means putting on a heavier stock pair of fork legs and the bigger double leading shoe drum brake.

Pulled the wheels and forks off the racer and set those aside (disclaimer on picture quality, taken with my flip phone);

Pulled stock legs apart, thoroughly cleaned, replaced seals, reassembled and then mounted up on the SL;

Cleaned and serviced bearings and brakes and mounted wheel, on opposite side rim is pretty dinged up, maybe next year we'll put on some nice alloy rims??

Closer look at trick heavyweight wheel and arguably better brake then the little CR250 rim that was removed (we shall see);

Next it was on to the fuel system, the oe petcock never did flow very well and there was a little nicer valve on one of the parts bikes, it is a single outlet so I installed with a brass t, worked out pretty nice. Here is the valve still on parts bike;

Then it was on to putting in the new smaller jets, recentering the slide needles and trying it out. I'm now down to 150 mikuni hex jets in the VM30s and it still seems rich, plugs are not quite as sooty as before, so we are getting close. Luke is going to pick up some 140 and 145's tomorrow and we will try those out. If we can ever get the plugs even close to brown, we will start the finer adjustments.