View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #539
akmnstr
Mckenzie River Huskies

Oddometer: 235
My wife and I finished the ride on the 25th and are now homeward bound to TX. We decided not to go to Roosville for our finish, but to ride into Glacier NP on the Going to the Sun highway and returning to the park entrance on US Hwy 2 giving us 2 more crossings of the divide. The park is awesome but filled with vehicles, a real culture shock to see middle America out on vacation in their RVs, Harleys, or whatever. It is a possible alternative ending but be warned you may come away thinking America is doomed. We did two side trips on the way. The first was to the Cliff Dwellings National Monument in NM. Very nice, but it was a 2 day diversion. The second side trip was a day in Yellowstone. Much like Glacier, America was there as well as Japaneses and German tourists. I do want to visit again but in September or October next time.

I should add that there is a challenging section of trail just north of Helena MT. There are some rocky and steep sections, we found them to be challenging and fun. Navigation in this section was also a challenge even with a gps and the mountain bike maps. We never got really lost, only slighty bewildered.
akmnstr is offline   Reply With Quote