ManLee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Day 7

Day 7 June 27, 2013
Boya Lake, BC to Francis Lake, YT
178 Miles

Today we enter the Yukon!

You cant help but visit the sign forest, its the first thing you see when you come into town. The visitor center is right here so I went in to ask where the best place to get a hamburger is. She told me all the different places one could get a hamburger but she couldn't tell which was best. What she did tell me was that we should not go to Ross River on the Robert Campbell Highway. She said heavy mining trucks have torn the road up and that it is in terrible shape and nearly impassable. I tried to explain to her about the bikes we were on and that we could "go anywhere". She said the last group that tried had a bad crash and a serious injury. I told here we'd be fine and she had me sign a ledger and told me to check in at the visitor center in Faro and to have them call her. Wow what were we in for?

The first 60 miles of the Campbell highway is chip seal. It looks like they've got another section ready for tar and are clearing and grading a section after that. We probably loose a chunk of dirt each year but I doubt the whole thing will be paved in my lifetime.

This is one of the better sections of dirt we had between Watson Lake and Francis Lake. There were sections of terrible washboard, loose gravel and some duffy loose sand pits that wanted to swallow you up. It was tuff riding but not nearly impassable as described.

We camped at Francis Lake. Probably the best camping of the trip. Had the place to ourselves except for one old timer from Oregon who had been coming here every summer for 40 years to fish.

It was warm dry and bug free. So nice that we each took a dip to clean up and cool off.

Dean, staring out at the lake trying to figure how to catch one of those 40 inch lake trout that the old timer told us about.

ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote