View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 01:09 PM   #92
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
Interesting observations on 650 vs 250.

I'm very interested in the WR250R but have just one concern about a 250 engine making this much power: longevity of the motor. How many miles do those things last before needing a valve job or rings/pistons or cylinder redone? Many highly-stressed dirt-bike engines like this need a rebuild by 15 or 20 thousand miles. No so with a DR650, which is a very under-stressed engine.

I have owned both the KLR650 and DR650 for many years. Never felt vibration was a problem with either, although I much prefer the DR650 over the KLR650. The DR is smoother, simpler, lighter, better off-road, bulletproof, trouble-free and lasts just as long as the KLR.
The WR250R has 26,000 mile valve adjustment intervals. Can't beat that. Thanks Yamaha. Only time it feels stressed to me is at about 85-90 mph. But there's no fun for me in riding at those speeds - so it isn't a problem. It feels very relaxed at 65 mph and fuel-economy is much better there too.

It's funny - a friend who rides a Sportster, took my CBR150R out on a 150 mile day-ride yesterday. He couldn't believe how smooth it ran at 65 mph. His left hand never went numb the entire ride......a problem he experiences often with the Sportster. His hand never went numb riding the WR250R either.

Really enjoying this report. Go WR!!!!

Mike

Nanabijou screwed with this post 07-30-2013 at 06:25 PM
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote