View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #61
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
by webventure:

Superstitious Pole asks for a kick in the butt before each stage

Por Pedro Sibahi | 30/07/2013

Polish Racer asks for a kick before the races and does not shave. Photo: Pedro Sibahi / Webventure
One of the best known figures in the Sertões International Rally is the Pole, Rafal Sonik, quad rider who is a highlight in the category. Besides his skill in the command of his 700 cc Honda TRX, he is also known for being very talkative and a bit eccentric.
Always walking around with two models at his side and a photographer to register every step, Rafal speaks quickly and effusively when questioned about his impressions of the race. Measuring approximately 1,90 meters height, he has the physique of a bon vivant and a lot of charisma, always speaking confidently.
Among his peculiarities, the habit of asking for a kick in the butt before starting each stag, stands out, a habit that he has kept every day of the competition
“Every day someone kicks me to give me good luck. I am totally superstitious, and therefore I also do not shave during the rally, not even on the eve of the race”, Rafal told us.
Even in the Dakar, race in which he participated four times, coming in third place twice, the only time he shaves is on the rest after the sixth stage, because he doesn’t drive. Questioned if he had any other superstitions, he said yes, but would not tell them.

Rafal Sonik walks around the rally accompanied by models and says he is superstitious. Photo: Divulgação
Despite these peculiar characteristics, Rafal Sonik is a powerful man in Poland, owner of a group of companies called Gemini that carries out big real estate enterprises for multinational corporations like Carrefour and British Petroleum. Furthermore, he is also the owner of two shopping malls in his country.
Up until the end of the sixth stage, the rider leads in his category with total time of 16h32min43. Apparently, the kicks have worked.
VDG is offline   Reply With Quote