Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #98
ManLee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Day 8

Day 8 June 28, 2013
Francis Lake, YT to Carmacks YT
289 miles

Its 120 miles of dirt road from Francis Lake to the town of Ross River. The first 10 miles were some of the worst washboard I had seen. I thought this was going to be a long miserable day but after that first 10 miles we passed one last mining operation and it turned to hard packed gravel. You could really motor on this and it went on and on and onÖ..

Itís funny that out in the middle of nowhere you come across this viewing and information area. Kinda like what youíd see alongside the highway.

This is the most isolated stretch of road on the whole trip. We didnít see anyone on it and Iíll bet if you were stranded it would be days before anyone would happen by. Later I talked to a guy in Fairbanks and he said he avoids this road because itís boring and all you see is trees. I thought it was awesome and beats the hell out of the Alcan.

Our last fill up was yesterday 230 miles ago and we were greeted with this out of gas sign in Ross River. Not a good feeling. They told us there should be a fuel delivery later this afternoon. The Next fuel is in Faro 50 miles away. We did some quick calculations dumped in our remaining gas and headed to Faro.

We made it to Faro with gas to spare. Turns out we could easily do 300 miles with all our jugs full up. It was actually good to have a long test run before we tackled the haul road. Faro is kind of a ghost town. There is an abandoned industrial mine nearby and you can tell by the vintage of all the houses that there was a boom in the 70ís. We had another hamburger at the restaurant and talked to a guy who came there for 2 months 35 years ago and never left. The only jobs left are cleaning up the mess the mining company left behind when they pulled out.

We camped at Coal Creek Campground in Carmacks right on the Yukon River. This is where we met up with Hennepinboy(Curt) and his brother who were also on their way to Deadhorse.

ManLee is offline   Reply With Quote