View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
pebmr OP
Retired Marathoner

Oddometer: 50
Day 4

Day 4 started with sunrise in the Montana mountains just north of Yellowstone. Packed up camp, had the typical breakfast of canned double espresso, protein shake and Clif Bar, and headed north to Livingston. Took the road less traveled parallel to the freeway and saw the local ranches including an area that had recently burned out buildings and all by a forest fire-didn't want to take pics as people were working on the buildings.

Gassed up in Livingston, stopped at McD's for real coffee, biscuit and morning newspaper. Felt good to sit down, relax, wash up a little. Then easterly towards Custer's Last Stand which had always been on my list. It was quite warm and sunny in the 90's, so I checked out the visitors center which had a few exhibits (and AC), then out to the battle site. The battle started in the low grounds by the indian camp along the river, and then the soldiers were driven back by the 10:1 larger indian warrior party. Soldiers hit the higher ground and the split party was pursued gradually over about 3 miles to the last stand hill. Headstones mark the spots where the soldiers fell. Quite a bit of history here, and the end of the plains indian culture...

Headed east accross Montana side roads, went by this big coal-fired power plant out by itself...

Gassed up and picked up a nice cold iced tea for a little break in a small town, found a shady place to relax for a few minutes...

Then further east and on to the North Dakota Grasslands/Badlands

Saw old and new style oil wells

Entered the ND Grasslands early evening and thought I could find an easy spot to camp. Turned out there was a lot of free range cattle grazing and many more roads on the ground than the few on my map. Ending up driving about 60 miles to and fro before I finally figured out where I was and could find a place that was not posted.

So ended Day 4 in the ND Grasslands on my own grassy knoll overlooking the ND Badlands at sunset...

pebmr is offline   Reply With Quote