View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #87
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Points will always be more reliable than any type of electronic ignition on any engine. Yes, they require maintenance. But like carbs over FI, a points ignition can often be repaired beside the road, or at least made operational enough so that you can nurse it home or somewhere that you can fix it right. When electronics fail, they fail completely, and there is no way to fix them. They are also very fragile, especially on a motorcycle.
I would disagree that electronic systems are fragile on a bike, the Boyer I fitted on my R80, did north and south America, got taken off the R80 when I sold the bike and put on a 90/6, which was then ridden round Australia, lots of vabration and temperatures from -5C to 45C. No issues. Both of my current bikes run aftermarket electronics, no problems with either, and perfect ignition and ignition curves, not affected by mechanical wear and tear. When points need fixing by the side of the road it's usually because they have become loose and fallen out of adjustment, hardly a failure?

I would not fit an electronic ignition where the electronics are kept inside the timing chest, such as the Omega ignition once sold by Stephen Bottcher, I really do think that similar designs are asking for trouble, there seems to be issues with the Trispark ignition sold for Commandos and in my view part of the problem is that all the electronics are encapsulated in the timing chest of Nortons and those engines do vibrate.

People do need to remember that electronic systems will have different requirements as to both Coils and the resistance on plug caps, this needs to done if an electronic system to last and some systems that use a V shaped timing curve at low revs to stabilize tickover (eg Boyer Microdigital) must be timed at full advance.

Points versus electronic? Maybe it's a philosophical thing
1971 Commando Fastback

chasbmw screwed with this post 08-02-2013 at 02:37 AM
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote