View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
BSUCardinalfan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Three days, kids are gone to grandparents, let's go!

Although I've been riding for a while now, and have made a few week long trips down to the Smokey Mountains, my wife (who just got her first bike this summer) had never been further than about an hour away from the house on her CBR250r. So while our two girls were off at the grandparent's house for a week, we decided to take off.

Ultimately it would be a 650 mile, three day trip that not only was really fun but allowed us to be 'us' again (amazing how kids being around changes a relationship dynamic) AND by the end of it my wife was really enjoying riding, having FUN. Up until now she had been mostly concerned with not falling over! (and she hasn't had any incidents at all so far, which is a very good thing!)

I had planned the trip a bit in advance and had the route roughly identified and accommodations planned in advance. She only knew that we were going to be gone for three days and what to pack. While risky, this proved to be a really good idea. I guess sometimes just taking charge is a good thing.

Allow me to introduce my wife and I:

Me: 41 year old engineer/project manager for a consumer goods company. Riding a street triple.

Her: 33 year old mom, nursing student, all around amazing person. Riding a cbr250r.

A bit of a warning, this little trip was as much about us just having a good time as it was hard core riding. And we ate a LOT, so quite a bit of this will be about that, too.
This was our basic route, going clockwise.