View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
BSUCardinalfan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
That first break allowed us to make an adjustment to my wife's Sena unit, which was catching on her jacket every time she looked to the left. We left the coffee shop and headed out on what would end up being our longest ride without stopping to get off of the bikes on the trip.

We took county road Lo out of Mukwonago, over to 67, then up S to 59 in the Kettle Moraine. We stayed on 59 all the way over to near Brooklyn, where we took 92 and then W into New Glarus. This first main leg of the trip gave us a chance to calibrate how we were going to ride together on the trip. Although I was in charge of directions, the Sena communicators allowed my wife to lead (and ride at a pace she was comfortable riding) and I could alert her to upcoming turns. This worked very well for most of the trip, but at times she asked me to lead. This usually ended up not working as well because I felt compelled to check on her in my mirrors too often, and I worried about riding too fast.

New Glarus is known as "Little Switzerland" here in Wisconsin. The downtown area has a very small town European feel, complete with specialty shops and restaurants. The entrance into town on W is very scenic:

It was a bit too early for lunch, since we had just had our coffee stop a couple hours before. However, one of the attractions of New Glarus is the New Glarus brewery, where delicious beers such as Spotted Cow, Two Women, Totally Naked, Fat Squirrel, Road Slush, and Serendipity are brewed and bottled. The entire facility is really nice and they have a nice gift shop and 'outlet' store on site. Here my wife was not appreciative of my opportunistic photography.

You can also take free tours - so we did!

tours are self guided and you basically just walk up to the workers and can have a chat with them while they do their thing....I work for a company that does a lot of bottle filling and this was familiar yet different, so I enjoyed it quite a bit.

they also have a really nice courtyard where you can sample some of their products and enjoy the scenery. I'm not sure what they are doing with the 'bombed out village' look they seem to be going for, but it is a nice area. Since we were riding we just shared a small sample and enjoyed a break off of the bikes.

After the brewery tour and a bit of time sitting outside, we road over to the main part of town, gassed up, and grabbed lunch at the Sportsman.