View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 05:38 AM   #101
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Over the hill and far away.

As a West Australian and living in a particularly arid part I was keen to ride and see the snow. The closest I have been to the snow is probably my esky full of ice and beer... The forecast wasn't real good for snow in the area I was to use to cross over the Snowy Mountains. But with the freezing morning experienced, I was feeling positive, anyway, regardless of snow or not I was just happy to be healthy and back on the bike heading into the unknown...

The crisp morning revealed some old snow on the sides of the road up past Kiandra and Mount Selwyn. Sure it wasn't "powder" but it didn't stop me pulling up, making my first snow balls and throwing it at random targets. This kid couldn't be happier, madly laughing as my white missiles exploded when they hit their marks. Sometimes you own company can be hilarious.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Motorcycling Snowman

Frosty it was...!

I understand that for some, seeing snow is unremarkable but I come from a place that sits between a desert and warm coastal beaches with tropical reefs! Little moments like these I had playing around like a goose instilled in me that I was indeed on an adventure, on my motorbike, far away from all that is familiar.

The bright day ensured that the emergency roadside cabin wasn't needed.

I was impressed at how the basic hut was so clean, providing a safe refuge from the extreme conditions sometimes experienced up here if you were caught out.

I've never seen warning signs like these before. Beware of the Snowy Mountain brumbies...

Stormtooper selfie with icy mountain river below.

I never grow tired of the surprises I come across on the road. Riding through a tight snowy wooded area one moment, then a turn later, it opens up to a grassy tundra, complete with a trout river and the road visible winding off into the distance. The surprises have me pulling up, just to absorb it even better...

More warnings of the local inhabitants. My little black brumby carried me safely throughout.

Signs like these just make me smile, a challenge? a dare? or fair warning? What ever they are I'm always keen to find to find out...

Another bend in the road and another surprise. Blowering reserve dam came out of nowhere, in the near hour or so I spent there absorbing the vista I didn't see a soul, kangaroos and emus where my only company. It was stunning, the glassy lake, the warming sunshine, the serenity and quietness was amazing.

Try as I might, the photos of this wonderful spot still don't do it justice...

Views for miles...

A tempting 'slippery dip slide when overflowing I reckon...

Fast boats have been here...

The empty little town of Talbingo, birth place of Miles Franklin of the literary award fame. I always thought that Miles was a 'he', in fact I embarrassingly, through reading a local plague was educated properly! The Miles Franklin award terms, is that "the prize shall be awarded for the Novel for the year which is of the highest literary merit and which must present Australian Life in any of it's phases..." Being a proud Aussie I commend the awards encouragement for great Australian literature.

Lazy roos in the sun, Talbingo golf course over looking the dam.

Workers doing dam maintenance.

Friendly power generation.

Well I'll be! Its the "Road To Gundagai" locally known as 'Gocup Road'
Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote