View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #103
Hoonatic Ty OP
TEN660

Oddometer: 96
Renmark to the Flinders Ranges National Park

After a luxurious stay at the sprawling Renmark Hotel for the night on the banks of the Murray I ventured on, loosely following the river intending to drop in on a few friends places to say g'day.

Riding into Berri I was impressed with someone taking "House Boating" quite literally. BBQ, watertank and guttering, air-conditioning, satellite tv, water views...,
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Full of character, including a double garage and all!

Panoramic Berri Foreshore.

River work boat.

Berri juice, berri nice! Oranges, oranges

And more oranges!

Riding out of Berri I experienced a strange but really cool personal moment. I had the particular town of Cadell to visit, to catch up with a friend. With the GPS and tank bag map showing me the correct way to go I still missed the turn off! This may not seem a big thing, but what I did next really surprised me. Instead of doing the panicked U-turn at earliest opportunity, I caught myself not caring in the slightest! Quite happy to continue on my way into the total unknown, fully at ease with what may come. Is this what feeling free was like?, no worries, no stress, no panic, little care for the possible outcome... I just rode on with a subconscious shrug of the shoulders, grin of expecting adventure and happy knowing I had no idea where I was going!

Miles and mile of grape vines. This place is a fruit bowl...

Being very content, riding my bike, going anywhere I wanted is a awesome experience. I think being so happy in life contributed to me cracking up laughing hysterically in my helmet at things like this sign, happiness and humour go hand in hand.

More houseboats at Waikerie. A fleet, to satisfy the owners or visitors and their river holiday adventures.

River crossing barges.

A river crossing of different sort. Click to watch.

Out in a paddock, miles from any river or water I came across this. Go figure, made me smile anyway.

Back on the river trail, old wrecked barge hulls can be seen in the reeds from days gone by.

Panoramic river bends...

Morgan, River boat country.

Windmills and grazing sheep.

Empty roads, except for the wildlife, from here I think I can see the end of this 10km stretch!

Open, empty country.

After staying at friends of mine and Dougs, Will and Loll, I set course for the Flinders Ranges National Park. This was another place I had read about in "Trailzone Magazine" It promised to be a great place to explore and camp. On my way north into South Australia's interior I stopped just north of Orroroo at the massive Red Gum tree.

Hoonatic Ty is offline   Reply With Quote