View Single Post
Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #67
The Dutch Rooster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Wink Two sides of the medal...

(what a great thread this is... )

'We shape our tools and than our tools shape us!'
Isn't Adventure riding a matter of exploring one's limits, find them and then accept/respect them? Everybody has his (or her...) own approach to this question and the size of the engine does not really matter imho...

Had great rides on all of my previous Adventure-type bikes: DR650, Transalp 600, Pegaso 650, Africa Twin and now a 990. With the AT I drove around in Morocco last year and in the desert I discovered my own limits: I could not power it through Sahara sand It did not make me feel sad or unhappy but I accepted it as a fact of life. At the same time I cherished the great moments I had had on unpaved, gravel stretches at the foot of and across the Atlas mountains and the easy rides on tarmac from and to these stretches...
After my Adventure in Morocco I hesitated what to do: buy a light weight enduro bike for offroad rides (and keep the AT for tarmac); strip the AT and setting her up as a rally-raid bike or... switch to a 990? You know the answer already and every trip with the 990 is a new 'Adventure' to me and I am very grateful for being able to do so...

The Dutch Rooster screwed with this post 08-07-2013 at 11:12 AM
The Dutch Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote