View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #9
justafurnaceman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
So to sort of layout the route that I took: Missouri to Redstone Alabama to Asheville North Carolina then up to Keene New Hampshire then over to Maine. The highlight spots were the roads in western North Carolina and Tennessee and traveling in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. There's nothing like riding twisty roads with green all around you with mountains, rivers, and lakes as the scenery. The boring part of the trip was I-81. Instead of taking my time traveling north I had used up my extra day riding around TN and western NC so I had to use the interstate to make decent time north. Although there's nice scenery along the highway but it just gets boring traveling in a straight line at a constant speed for so long.

I have more pictures on the camera but it uses the smaller SD card which the wife's laptop doesn't accept.

I tried to get out and take more riding pictures of the nice roads around here but I end up stopping at friends' houses and talking. Some of these people I haven't seen for several years so we spend a few hours catching up. One of the guys is a retired gunsmith who has an incredible collection of old guns and is restoring an old car. He wouldn't let me take pictures as he doesn't want a lot of people to know what he has and where he lives. He's a brilliant man and enjoys fine old things. What he's spent on ONE shotgun would give my wife a heart attack. (He said that he nearly got divorced over that one). He's chased old cars and old guns for quite some time and has made mostly good investments on them.

It has been hard to see so many houses and former businesses for sale in these small towns. Without saying too much to get this Ride Report kicked to the CS&M forum, the recession has hit this area pretty hard. We'll see how things are in a few years.

So, even though I still have a couple of weeks left before I head back I've been trying to think of the best ways home. I think I'm going to do some exploring of northern VT and NY. I've never been to Lake Champlain so I think I'll ride around it. Route 3 will take me to Watertown, NY and then I'll head southwest. I'm not sure how long I want to spend in that area or what roads to take west. We'll see how much time I have. If I have the time I would like to stay off the interstate and take secondary roads.