View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #272
FJ_Kevin OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardktm View Post
I loved this thread in the build process, now its even better that you're racing and getting results
I really like the indepth engineering stuff swapping between the 490 and 465 to get the ultimate bike.

I only owed the 490 in my youth so never got to ride the sweeter handling 465, its great to see you swapping between bikes during the races.

I remember racing my mates around the local tracks back when i was 15 or 16 with this bad ass firebreathing yam, there's nothing more entertaining than a small fast bike in the corners and a big fast bike on the straights.. it's the basis of all epic motor races.

I remember mum bought me a book called Yamaha Dirtbikes for xmas around that time the author was Colin Mackeller, an absolute must read for any fans of that era.

keep up the good work and ride safe.

rich
Richard,

Glad you like the thread and appreciate the kind note. The 465 and 490's are both fine bikes I think. That MacKeller book is tough to find now. I have a section from it covering the enduro models (very good as you say) but have never seen a copy anywhere. I bet you have plenty of great memories from racing in your youth, a great experience I'm sure!

And now so many years later, still lots of fun. All the guys I've met at the races are always very friendly, more than happy to help when they can. What a bunch of nice guys I've met.

There is a lot more to come so stay tuned. It takes a while for me to pull all the photos together. There is more on Unadilla plus I am building another hot rod 490 motor plus all kinds of other stuff I hope folks will find interesting.

No real master plan here other than to have lots of fun !

Kevin

My Vintage Husqvarna/Motocross Restoration Extravaganza Thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964670
FJ_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote