Thread: KLR250 thread
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #1206
rube
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Cycleracks question

I have a cycleracks rack on my klr250. It is a Great rack for my commute. I have a 10 gallon tough tote on it, which I find incredibly handy.
Since I first got the rack I have had trouble withe the rear mounting tabs. They just do not line up well with the threaded holes on the underside of the seat rail that they are suppose to bolt into. I was able to get the 8 mm bolts threaded, but it seems that every time I do a little dirt riding that the right rear mount bolt shakes loose. The it is always very difficult to get the replacement bolt lines up again. I lost the bolt again today and am looking for a better way to attach the rear mount to the bike. I want it to be easier to attach, and less likely to come apart.
My idea is to drill a hole all the way through the seat rail so I can use a through bolt and lock nut, rather than fighting to get the bolt started in the threaded stock mounting bolt. I was going to drill the hole slightly undersized and use a 6 mm bolt and lock nut.
Anyone tried this before, or any other ideas about a better way to attach the cycleracks rack to the klr250?

Thanks
rube
rube is offline   Reply With Quote