View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #52
mka OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
to here...........

this again, is gleniff horseshoe area of north sligo/leitrim......i went here on way back from donegal...............weather completely changed
alwats wet or wettish here..............the clouds skip low in from the atlantic and graze the tips of the high hills here and cause some drops to fall nearly all the time leaving this area moist as a soggy donut...
somewhat eerie too as nobody is ever here..............just me and distant dreams of people of long ago.............it gets into you......leaves you feeling a bit down...a bit sad............a bit forlorn...............but in a perverse way it does some good...............bit like a pilgrimage i suppose.???!!!
anyways......can you see the big hole up high in the hills above the old cottage.................this is a cave.............way up there...yes.......
and some scientists had been asked up there as some walker had discovered some bones in the cave...............turns out the bones are those of some bears.......!!!
we never had bears in ireland........(only in the circus !!) so research was done...............turns out they had originated from spain..........basque area...........!! useless information !!
also turns out we are very closely genetically linked with the basques not the celts !! more useless information !!
close up

this is on the way in to glenniff...........straight ?

sometimes a glimpse of the sun...........and it moves fast lighting on the hills and away again to dull darkness

you can kinda make out the horseshoe theme here

or here

it's a mystical faery kinda place all round here........a poet called wb yeats wrote a lot of stuff about this area.............melancholic moody broody and fierce sad stuff, one is called the stolen child...............it would bring a tear to a stone.................
another abandoned hoos/cottage...............with all the dreams it held vanished into the ether............all gone now.............so fuckin' sad it breaks me heart

further over there is this hill shaped like a wave about to break....almost but not quite breaking...........it looks good on a clear day but not so today

further over again.....different angle....

this little cutie was giving me those doe eyes and 'come hither' look...............but try as i would i just wasn't in the mood...........!!! sorry little beep, next time i'm passin'...!!

a last look at the 'bear cave'...!!

and back down the mountain again....................wwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...................!!
looking down towards donegal bay and mullaghmore and tiny in the distance 'classiebawn castle' standing erect like a wart on your arse overlooking all the peasants for miles and miles and miles.................!!

this place and the pier at mullaghmore were built during the famine years by the locals and they got a bit to ate to help them along or to keep them fit to work..........'arbeit macht frei' and all that............of course the church (wanks) would not let the people ate soup from the protestant soup kitchens, better to die cleansed than 'take the soup'.....!!!
.......sick bastards................burn all the churches...............cast them out...................nothing only war and power and destruction from them shower....
i could feel the resentment rising in me there................so i went for a bit to eat with some good ould boys................great crack and clears the head............steadies the ship..........
and puts things back into perspective a bit...................
so i'm all full up now and hope i don't make another balls up of another post.
so down the mountain and on over to the castle gates with me.
this be castle gates.....gatehouse and all........

it was owned by royal family of hengland back in the day..............and mi lord mountbatten used to come here on his hollidays when he was the right side of the sod...........!!
he seemed a harmless old fella back then, just fishin and scooting around but......god rest him, he paid a big price for being related to the queen............we'll not get into the
politics of all that here and now...............as none of it really helps....!!
his 'coat of arms' or stamp or whatever it's called................he was mountbatten of burma !!
the locals here all liked him well............and what happened to him here will forever be remembered i think

so i'm standing there arsing around...............what to do next.............pub or no pub, that is usually the question ?

well, next thing a line of horsies comes by.............a line of horsies with some fine mares atop of them..................fine indeed............hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...!!
i'm racing to get my flute out............i mean my camera out............almost too late, as usual............

just when i feel great elation at these beauties on horseback and me hand steadies itself to shoot a load of pictures another mare appears and she is having a good laugh
at me................ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh what a hunnny she was too................i'm all fingers and thumbs at this stage of the process (as is usual) and i smile up at her
sheepishly................she says, all coy................hhhhhhhhhaallllllloooooooo..... ..............i'm all out of superlatives and just grin back at her like a brain dead neanderthal........
...........i'm all out of words at the best of times...........just the stupid grin............................then she waves, smiles and rides on............into the sunset or whatever...
................she had a green top on and the way she was sitting on the horsie would make a grown man cry..........i'm standing there holding my load/camera........
and she just rides rides rides away.........................the moment had passed...............f**k..!!!
there she goes.....

so............i am thinking to myself....................so...........what about doe eyes all alone up the mountain...............remember her.

i can feel another god on a bike moment coming on....................feck it, go on go on go on............
and so ends another slightly weird, slightly off centre post, thank you for your time, hope you like some of it at least
mka is offline   Reply With Quote