View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
MasterMarine OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360

In 2012, I had come up with a huge 8 day loop for us to ride in Nevada during the planning stage. When I showed it to Chuck and Dan, they told me I was crazy. Plus Chuck had suffered a pretty bad foot injury while we were trail riding at Gifford Pinchot National Forest the summer of 2011 so he was not up for that kind of exploration. So I scaled it back to a 4 day loop. While planning for the 2013 ride, that ginormous loop kept crawling back into my mind. Finally I decided I was going to do that this year. We would see who was crazy enough to do it with me. I got to planning. I searched ADV, called other riders, sent Private Messages for info, called all the district offices of the Toiyabe National Forest for Motor Vehicle Use Maps, called several Nevada county offices for road info and spent many hours gazing at Google Earth and Basecamp plotting and adjusting the route. Just before we were to take off, I made a major edit to the route cutting off several hundred miles that would have taken us over to the Bonneville Salt Flats. I knew we would be lucky if we made it anywhere close to the full route and I wanted to make sure I got us down to the mountains in the middle of the state. They were calling me. I really wanted to explore them.

This year would be a bit different. (Aren’t they all?) We would have 2 groups of riders out on the ride. Not everyone was as crazy as me about the huge loop so I set up a shorter loop for them. Chuck would lead 3 other riders on a shorter loop staying north of I-80. I would lead 3 others on a loop that would extend far south of I-80. We would all ride together for the first couple days or so to Charleston Lake where Chuck’s group (the Short Timers) would head off to the west and my group would continue on toward the south into the unknown...
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote