View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #725
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,374
Utah Hill with Dad

Summer vacation season is over. Back in St. George. My son started back to school and the routine is re-establishing itself. All good. That means afternoon moto rides with Dad! Still hot, but we take off for the Utah Hill (via Navajo Drive in Bloomington) in late afternoon.

Here we are at the top of one of the first rises.

Climbing by one of the power lines. On Benchmark this is labelled "Blakes Lambing Grounds." The green below is Bloomington, the southern suburb of St. George.

Self portrait at one of the cattle gates. Way to dry for cattle now. Much better in Spring or Fall. In winter this area gets occasional snows. Been stuck up here on ATVs with my nephews before.

The mighty TW200. Virgin River Gorge is in the background.

Stopped with Dad at a good viewpoint for Jarvis Peak. This is the most prominent peak to the west of St. George that is referred to as the "Utah Hill" (Presumably because it borders with Nevada).

Dad takes a pic of me. We are headed towards the red cliffs of Ivins, far in the distance.

Scenic spot on the descent of the Mojave Desert Joshua Tree Scenic Backway. Looking towards the White Hills and the Shivwits Indian Reservation. Pine Valley Mountain in the distant background.

Some tree skeletons on this side of the "Utah Hill" as well. Many more on the western slopes.

Dad cruising ahead as I am dawdling with the camera.

Late afternoon. Still very hot. Looking back at our road. Great 40 mile loop with Dad. Good to be back on the bikes together!

Bonus photo. Just back from a family trip to CA. This was a much cooler place. Should be easy to guess . . .

Thanks for all the comments and PMs. I'll catch up with everything now that I'm back home and have more time. Ride safely out there! And ride often.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote