View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 06:08 AM   #28
pcdoc54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventurePoser View Post
So, good roads for the Big Bikes? If so I need to add them to my list for Utah in a couple of weeks...

thanks,
Steve
From Wikipedia ... "Hell's Backbone Road is a 38-mile gravel road that was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s, and connects the towns of Boulder and Escalante. Halfway along the road is Hell's Backbone Bridge, which is 109 feet long, and 14 feet wide. A 1,500-foot drop is on either side. Near the bridge are spectacular views of the Box-Death Hollow Wilderness. From late spring to autumn, the road, which climbs to more than 9,000 feet elevation, is easily passable by ordinary passenger vehicles, but it is very narrow and winding, and not for the faint of heart."

Bear in mind it's gravel, so caution and a puncture repair kit are recommended :)

Burr Trail is paved for the first 18 miles then graded dirt according to http://www.utah.com/offroad/burr-trail.htm ... I'll be honest, I remember it being paved for more than 18 miles but I could be wrong. However even those 18 miles are worth the trip. The road is just south of the town of Boulder.

Both roads ... check for any weather alerts before you go ... Hells Backbone should be fine but you should probably avoid the dirt part of Burr Trail after heavy rains.
pcdoc54 is offline   Reply With Quote