View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #58
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Day 9

We wake up and leave all of our gear in the motel. This is going to be our first real dirt road that we take.

They have a fish viewing platform for when the fish come up. You can see the bears catching the fish, but we were a week early so no fish. Plenty of bears around the town of hyder, but we didnt get any pictures.

We head up to the Salmon glacier.

No problems on the dirt with street tires.

Salmon glacier

We cook oatmeal next to the glacier.

We keep going and it just gets to foggy so we turn around to head back to the motel before checkout time.

We head up north on the Cassier and it rains the whole time.

We find a campsite outside of Dease lake.

Miles: 250

Day 9
Well that night, it rains a lot. Our first time camping in real rain. We dont push the ground tarp far enough under the tent and our tent floods. I am find in my sleeping bag, but Natalie has a memory foam pad that sucks up the water. She isnt happy. We pack up around 4 in the morning and head out.

There is construction around Dease Lake and after going through it my bike smells like burnt rubber. I am thinking that the alternator belt is having a bad time. We then just try to get to watson lake as fast as possible to get a motel room to dry out. During the ride my heated grips turn off and I am brainstorming through my mind about what happened and how it relates to the alternator. I am thinking the belt broke or something. It turns out that natalie blew a fuse on a bike when she was messing with the heated gloves and there is no fuse on our plug into the bike.

We stop to get gas at a resort and the gas pump attendant invites us in for a free coffee and to warm up. It was just what we needed.

We get into Watson lake and go to the visitor center to find the cheapest motel. We head to the cheapest and we check out the one cheap room they have. It is a conference room with a king bed and 3 bathrooms. PERFECT!

We lay out all our gear and tour the city! Not much there.

Natalie found some gold.

Checking out the sign post forest.

I am sure the Cassiar is a nice highway, but we didnt see any of it other than fog and rain.

Miles: 150