View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #192
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Boy, what a busy time. New job, move to Seattle, wedding coming up in about a week. Time to get in the way-back machine and start up where I left off!

Rocky Mountain National Park was beautiful! Despite the traffic on the climb, I really enjoyed the ride.

The way back down was a little better - we were able to pass a few slowpokes and open it up here and there. Back down at the bottom of the park we spotted a few Moose before the rain started. I don't have too many pictures for a while as it sprinkled on and off for the next few hours.

We rode through Granby thinking we might beat the storm system heading in.... until we got to Fraser. Then the lightning started. A group of motorcyclists had stopped to wait out the lightning storm and we joined them - none too eager to be struck by lightning. Within an hour the storm had passed and we saddled up and headed for Winter Park. I was pretty excited about riding Berthoud Pass - the last time I was in Colorado I cycled up and down the pass and it's quite a climb for an East coaster. It was easier on the BMW :)

40 degrees and drizzle

It seemed the weather would hold for a bit but it was getting damn cold and wet. I was happy to be leaving the storms behind us.

The ride down 70 wasn't terrible as every few miles it warmed up a few degrees - a very welcome change at this point. We looked for a place to stay around Central City but with nothing looking terribly appealing and the rain and temperature starting to come down we just decided to head for RT 6.

That was definitely the right decision! The temperature rose every few minutes and before long it was sunny and warm again! What a great piece of road, too. Rt 6 winds through Clear Canyon paralleling Rt 70 and provides a much nicer alternative to the highway. Evidence of old mining operations abounds and there is some great scenery, great corners, and cool tunnels.

We hit Golden refreshed and started hunting for a campsite. Finding everything booked up we rode to the edge of town and found a cheap motel and got cleaned up. After a couple cheap beers at some crappy chain, we took a taxi downtown for a little drinking and some mischief...

epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote