View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #26
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonRider View Post
This is a very timely discussion as I am planning a 10-14day trip next month. In the past I've done detailed planning and ridden with 2 or 3 other folks. The problem is I've always had to plan around having to meet someone at a certain time at a certain place or one of us HAD to be back on a certain date. It does take some of the fun out of the trip.

This will be my first solo trip over a week and besides you inmates, I haven't told anyone for fear someone would want to tag along or ask me to stop and visit them "along the way".

I have a very rough itinerary and route - Raleigh, NC to Quoddy Head, ME and back - no interstate, no repeat roads. I want to ride as long or as little as I want each day. I want to dawdle at some roadside oddity if I feel like it. I don't want to have a hard date that I have to be back - I'll be back when I'm done riding.

Yes, this trip is all about me.
Can I go? Just kidding!!!!

I am "planning", and I use that term very loosely, to take a trip the week of Labor Day. At first I invited my Uncle, but he never responded, so I just dropped it. I have asked my wife to try to get the time off from work so she can go too (she has her own bike). I have NOT told any of my usual riding buddies about it.

I am not sure where we will go. Mrs. B wants to go to Florida. I would rather be beaten with a stick than to go to Florida. I want to go to Colorado. She did say she would like to go to Maine sometime, so we may end up there. Maine and Colorado are both about the same distance, two long hard days. I am thinking of throwing the bikes on the trailer and towing them, then set up a "base camp" for a couple of nights, or maybe the whole time, and just do day rides from there. If hte weather is bad, we can use the truck if we need to go some where. I am not sure if we will tent camp, or rent a cabin.

There is still the possibility that she will not be able to get the time off, in which case I may just strap a small tent and sleeping bag on the bike and go by myself.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote