View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #620
StickJan
Mobilis in mobil

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffntuff View Post
It’s funny how every time I crossed into Canada, I had to remove my helmet and answer a billion questions. But every time I crossed back into the U.S., I only had to show my passport and that was it. I wonder what it’s like for Canadian’s vice versa.
I passed the border from Vermont into Quebec some 13 - 14 years ago on a rented Harley. East of Lake Champlain. Leaving US was smooth but when I hit the canadian border there was this french canadian border guard that refused to speak english and he was not very nice at all. Very grumpy indeed. Until I gave him my passport and he realized that I was from Sweden and not from the States. Then he spoke fluent english all of a sudden and excused himself. -"Oh. Sorry. I thought you where a US citizen since you are on a american bike with US plates. So sorry"! Then he started to talk with me, making jokes and gave me a fridge magnet with the canadian flag on it before heīd let me go. Ten days later I took the ferry from Nova Scotia to Main (there was a ferry from Yarmouth to Bar Harbor at that time. I think itīs gone now) and the exact opposite happened. The american border guard was a total arse til he got my passport. -"Shit. Sorry! I thought you were a canadian!!" Then he gave me a handfull of candy before he let me go. I donīt know. I think itīs a border guard thing..... Donīt take it personal! :)

Love your travel story and your way of writing. Splendid. Well done! Thanks for sharing!

//Jan

StickJan screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 04:03 PM
StickJan is offline   Reply With Quote