View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #23
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
School of Hard Knocks

Friends got bicycles, so I had a go when we visited; I was seven when I started back in about '61. There was no instruction; the adults did their thing and we did ours. In due course we got bicycles too.

My father was among the first in the district to get a farm motorcycle (a Honda CT 90) in '66. He showed me most of the the controls, and told me to ride. He came back a few minutes later and chided me for not having got out of first gear. I complained that he had not shown me how to. Got that sorted in a minute, and that was the end of any instruction.

From then on it was just the School of Hard Knocks, softened by the odd bog or bramble bush.

In '69, I read up the Road Code, then did the written and oral test for my provisional licence a week or two after my fifteenth birthday. A week later I did my full licence test on the CT90..... up the road 100 metres, do a feet up U-turn, and back to the testing officer.

Had one accident on the road and got a couple of speeding tickets as a cocky youth in the mid '70s. Clean record since then.

Aj Mick screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 05:19 PM
Aj Mick is offline   Reply With Quote