View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #25
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
....... I am also still debating between taking the DRZ400 or the F800GS with fresh TKC's.
Either will work because this is a true dual sport ride with a lot of pavement and forest service road. But be warned that some of the forest services roads are very rough and very rocky. I have seen and participated in some ugly crashes on the forest service roads.

The trails I wouldn't want to do on your 800 will all have bail out routes anyway. But I have seen plenty of crazies ride all but the little bit of AA trails this ride features on big GS's. So it is doable. Just be warned I have also seen some busted up GS's and riders from trying the trails.

But the ride is doable on either. It depends on whether you want to have more fun on the trails or roads I guess. The 800 will be a hoot on the groomed forest service roads and a nightmare when it turns to all rock. After riding like dozen of these things I would ride the 400.

Mainly just because this is a rock fest and it will hammer your ride. My 640 looks like it has been to war and it is 90% from all the Shenandoah 500's. I have busted up the bike in crashes and gotten four flats in one day from rock hits. But a lot of that depends on the routes you ride and how hard you ride.

And hopefully I am in this year. I missed last year in favor of a reunion trail ride with some old friends down south. So I am looking forward to this one.

Did I mention there are a lot of rocks? This one came in handy after its big brother bent the suspension link.

This one put four riders on their face and one over the edge for a ride ending injury and busted bike the year before this shot. Nice of somebody to mark it the next year:

And who ordered snow for 2011? Next time some grizzled old guy at the gas station tells me "its snowin' up them mountains" I will listen to him.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 08:54 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote