View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 02:45 PM   #69
ParaMud OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Day 12
Tok to Fairbanks

We headed to Fairbanks because they had a rear tire in stock. The rear is a 160/60-18. A weird size.

No real excitement. On the way there we passed a convoy of about 30 RVs. Got up to 100 when passing, the bike handled fine.

Also saw a moose chilling in a pond.

We got to fairbanks, bought the rear tire, which was $230 (eek) and took it to Adventure cycleworks to get mounted. At the mechanic I noticed that I lost a bolt for the exhaust. I had a spare to use though and got a nut from the mechanic.

Stayed at the University of Anchorage Fairbanks dorms, which is a steal for 36 bucks! Free laundry, nice showers!

Popular place for the adventure riders to sleep.

Miles: 200

Day 13
We checked the weather for the arctic ocean and decided against trying to go to Deadhorse at that time. We headed south to the Denali National Park.

We stopped at a brewery called 49th State Brewery. They had the bus from the movie Into the Wild (the prop bus)

We ate lunch there and had a good time.

We then headed to the park.

You can go 11 miles into the park. If you want to go all the way in then you need to buy a tour bus pass ($100+) or a shuttle, which is cheaper. We decided against buying a bus ticket and just going the 11 miles in.

It was cloudy and we didnt see anything in the 11 miles. We head back to the visitors center and watch the video they have. It sucks, nothing informational, just video camera stuff and a little bit of words and stuff. We leave the theater and they are announcing a sled dog tour that is free! We hop on the bus and go!

They had some that you can pet. They had some in cages. They were in cages because they supposedly like to eat rocks.

Natalie was drawn to the puppies.

I walk around and Natalie is still at the puppies. She even tried to poke them to wake them up.

They do a sled dog demonstration and all the dogs in the kennel love it.

Once the presentation is over, Natalie sees that the puppies are awake and runs over to them.

She pushed little kids aside and ruins everyones pictures so she can pet them.

We head back to the bike and head south towards Anchorage so we can find a campsite. We find a free campsite that has another motorcyclist.

He has a goldwing with a popup trailer, and a dog on the passenger seat.

The inside of the trailer, super comfy.

We go to the nearby river and see a salmon in the river! We get a machete from the goldwing guy and go back, but the fish is gone.

Miles: 200