View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #760
Shawnee Bill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight View Post
I was there all day....from the first practice to the end of the the last moto. I have no idea what it looked like on TV, but I'll be honest, it was pretty darn cool.

Yes, like with all things, there could be some improvements, but in person, this thing was absolutely NO supercross track like so many people were saying before seeing it. It was big, long, and a suprising amount of elevation changes (relatively speaking) for what I was originally thinking. They hauled in a ridiculous amount of dirt and had some big "dragon's backs", off-cambers, huge step-ups, etc.

As for the spectating, I'm still covered in dirt. TV cameras probably didn't show it, but there were plenty of spots where you could get very close to the action if you wanted. Yes, I admit....not as close as you can at other outdoor national tracks and that is kind of a shame. Because it was built on the infield of the car racing track, there were a lot of barriers. But, in fairness, you could get close to the action if you moved around.....but still not as much as I would have liked. They needed some tunnels or something to get spectators on the interior of the track in some places.

As for the dirt......all of the dirt in that valley (which is actually about 30 miles west of Salt Lake City) is what I like to call moon dirt. It's horrible and poofy. But.....they used that for the foundation of the track and then they brought in loads and loads of mulchy stuff for the top, and then they had hydro-seeded all the sides of the jumps. Honestly, it was waaaay better than I thought. When I saw videos of the track from a few months ago, I thought this thing was going to be a horrible dusty mess.

It could have been better. They needed more water trucks. But the thing that probably didn't come across in TV is that there were large thunderstorms all around the entire valley and at the times the wind was really blowing so it was drying it out horribly.....and the areas outside of the track that were that "moon dirt" I was referring to, were kicking up lots of dust.

It wasn't perfect, but it was tons of fun, and definitely better than what I had seen and read about before I got there. I'll have to watch the TV Broadcast to see it from an "outsiders" perspective, but for someone who was there in person, it was a great event and I was pleasantly surprised at the track.

Congrats to Villo and Tomac on the wins. They were on another level today (although the best racing by far was in the 250 class....especially between Baggett and Roczen).
Sounds good. Actually the more I watched on TV the more I was thinking it was like you describe rather than my first impressions. I really would like it to be a good track, I love riding to Utah and it sounds like it may be worth it, especially if they make good use of the time they have to make some improvements in the spectating area for next year.

Were they allowing camping at the track? Or would it be a decent place to camp? Looked like it was open desert.

Shawnee Bill is offline   Reply With Quote