View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
Orangecicle, why would you think that new head gaskets REQUIRE resurfacing of the heads,
First, I said, "New head gaskets require a resurfacing of the heads to do it properly." I stand behind that. If you remove the heads, you will have indentations in the aluminum where the old head gaskets cut into the aluminum. The right thing to do is to just "lightly" resurface those heads. It can be done in any motorcycle shop. Just a light resurfacing to get rid of that indentation is appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomedic View Post
and why would you think that removing the piston/rings from the cylinders then REQUIREs ring replacement?
I didn't say that. I said, "Some mechanics just pull the cylinders off of the pistons, and then you need new rings." I stand behind that as well. If you leave the pistons in the cylinders, you can get by without changing the rings. You pull the cylinders (leaving the pistons) and then remove the allen bolts holding the head on. From there, you can change head gaskets without changing rings. If you pull the cylinders off of the pistons by yanking the cylinders off of the pistons (a common mistake), then you need new rings. The bottom edge of the cylinders are sharp and can damage the rings. This I know because I had to buy new rings after a mechanic pulled my cylinders off the wrong way:

Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote