View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #1385
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,904
Missing marker found

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebRider View Post
Got to looking and this marker is listed as missing in the spread sheet...
Berkeley WV Berkeley Co / Virginia Rt 11

Missing

I thought Vatrader01 had them all in Berk. Co.

I go by this sign 5-10 times a week - think i may stop and clear the brush and trees from it...

"The Mountain State"--western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French during the French and Indian War, 1754-1763. Named for Queen Elizabeth, the Virgin Queen of England. Site of the first permanent English settlement in America, 1607. One of the 13 original colonies. The Old Dominion is the birthplace of eight United States Presidents.

A lot of history up and down the Martinsburg/Winchester Pike. There are quiet a few unincorporated communities between Martinsburg and Winchester.

Shenandoah valley pioneers and their descendants published the following in 1908:

Another important Turnpike in the Valley is "The Martinsburg and Winchester Turnpike." A charter was granted this company March 24, 1838, "with all the rights, powers and privileges, and subject to all the restrictions and liabilities herein given to and imposed upon the Valley Turnpike Company," the state giving same aid as granted the Valley Turnpike Company. This road is too well known to need any description; it being a continuation of the Valley system. It is managed and controlled by its own President and Directors. The route is through one of the most highly cultivated sections of the Valley—gorgeous scenery to the right and left;—and the great Valley lying to the south gives the traveler full satisfaction in his effort to study the landscapes so well known to thousands, who once in the line of duty marched over this Pike; when the armies of the North and South frequently used this highway. It has been estimated that more than a million soldiers marched over this road within the space of three years—with attendant artillery and army trains; that fully one hundred thousand horses, wagons, etc., also traveled it. The close of the war found it in bad condition. The company, however, rallied to their work, and had the Pike pass through its reconstruction period

RebRider - Great find! This one was listed as missing. I will update the spreadsheet ASAP (hopefully in the next day or two) and update the link on Post #1.

I would be surprised if VaTrader missed it if it was actually in place when he was looking for these. He was a pretty thorough guy. Has anyone heard from him? He just up and disappeared about 2 years ago and has not been on ADV or the KLR forums since. Super nice guy, very interesting to talk with, and would give you the shirt off his back.

Thanks for posting these!!
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote