View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #1386
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,908
Dunkard Bottom - Preston County

This marker was previously missing - replaced in 2013

I tried to research the namesake and came up dry, except for a similar location in Pulaski County, VA named "Dunkard's Bottom" with the following footnote on HMdb.org - The name Dunkard’s Bottom derived from earlier settlement of Dunkers, a German religious sect. Dunkers settled in several regions of southwestern Virginia during the eighteenth century.

I don't know if this has any relationship to WV's Dunkard Bottom. I'll ask the expert - Joe Geiger in Charleston and get back with a followup.

EDIT: I received the following email back from Joe Geiger, Director of the WV History & Archives Department ----

Hey Mike: Great work! Yes, I believe that’s where the name originated. This is from “West Virginia Place Names”:
Dunkard Creek
A br. of the Monongahela R., Clay D., Monongalia Co.
This stream was named for Dr. Thomas Ecka€rly and his two brothers, Dunkard, who settled at its mouth in 1758. Later, at Dunkard Bottom on the Cheat R., the second and third brothers were massacred.

The spelling of the brothers’ surname varies somewhat. Wither[s] (p. 75) and DeHass (HES, p. 74) spell it Eckarly; Hale (p. 235) spells it Eckerly; and Morton (Monroe, p. 27) spells it Eckerlin.

Thornton (An American Glossary, I, 276) defines Dunkard, Dunker, as “A species of Anabaptist, originating in Germany; found mostly in Pennsylvania.”

Located on Rt 7 appx 2 miles east of the junction of Rt 7 and Rt 26 in Kingwood, just east of the Camp Dawson turnoff.

GPS Location:
39* 27' 36.97" N
79* 38' 58.35" W

Same marker - Side #2

View westbound on Rt 7 - turnoff for Camp Dawson is to the right. Kingwood is straight ahead about 2 miles.

View eastbound on Rt 7. Terra Alta is about 10 miles east.

My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 04:10 PM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote