View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
Wannabee OP
Survivor of Reality

Oddometer: 2,447
Seems the forums hates me today , wrote for what seems like an hour and it didn't post.

Anyway.... the morning started out by packing the bike and trying to calm down , was exceptionally wound up and the cobwebs were rather thick . After choking down a cliff bar and a cigarette , I walked about the lake area trying to absorb the peacefulness the water and surrounding fauna had to offer . At about 8:30 I felt I needed to take off before I decided to do something stupid like bail . Julian Price campground was the goal for the day, so southbound I went .
The man that built the BRP rode a motorcycle , you can't convince me otherwise. Beautiful scenery , beautiful curvy roads ....and the gods were looking out for me because I was buzzing well north of the posted speed limit and rarely saw another vehicle...let alone a ranger . A stop at Meadows of Dan for gas and a little amusement at the sign advertising the special , possum pie , I set off to see what lie ahead .

I arrived at Julian Price campground. ..16 bucks for a site 15 ft from the water was worth it

My only complaint was the company for the evening ...a douchebag on a poorly tuned Harley that kept riding around the loop like everyone was impressed with his backfiring behemoth and this guy...

Who thought I enjoyed his romantic singing , which was performed within 15 ft of my tent all night long . My dinner consisted of oodles of noodle and spam cooked in my trusty Jetboil...delicious :
Morning arose ... bike packed ...after a cliff bar and half a canteen of water to wash it down , on I went .
I met a couple from Quebec riding north on two BMW GSAs , a group from Novia Scotia on metric cruisers heading south and at the pulloff for the highest point ....I met an Australian who purchased a Kawasaki Vulcan online in Wilmington, NC and was riding the country and Canada for the next few months. Sounded like a hell of an adventure .

Continuing south , my favorite overlook was the Devil's courthouse , a beautiful out cropping at 5700 ft above sea level .

(Wow....that worked !)
I must say ... the temperature ranges were amazing ..and the weather seemed to change every other mile . Wonderful ....
Started dropping elevation toward my ultimate goal ... the Southern end of the BRP . (artsy pic )
I wound my way down without stopping and finally , at approx. 16:30 , I pulled into the Oconaluftee vistors center outside of Cherokee . Much needed because I thought I was gonna pass out from the heat with cold weather gear on from being up so high. Stripping off the gear with an audience of elderly women from a church group. ..I had completed my original goal . 105 miles of Skyline dr and 496 miles of BRP... ( I skipped the boring detour north of Ashville because of a crack in the road )
After a little sightseeing at the visitor's center , I set off to Maggie Valley to find a room. Holiday hotel...nothing fancy , clean and very nice people , would recommend checking it out if you are in the area. Dropped my gear , headed down the road to a place called Legends and enjoyed a Joker Burger

Yes...thats peanut butter and it was damned good !
Spent the evening shooting the shit with the couple next door from Kentucky ( he was a Vietnam vet , Army ) and a younger guy in for the bike rally (which I am glad I was leaving in the morning ) who was a Blackhawk pilot just returning from Afghanistan . Good people....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Wannabee screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 05:41 PM
Wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote