Thread: Am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #17
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkGSA View Post
I just picked up a Zumo 660 (my first GPS ever) and I am less than impressed. Garmin's touchscreen tech seems to have stalled in the late 90s somewhere and everything so unresponsive, especially once I loaded som topo maps on it. The whole thing just seems so unintuitive after years of using smart phones with pinch to zoom, high resolution screens, and really responsive controls.

So...I think I am going to return it and make a setup based around a Google Nexus 7 tablet. This would include:
  • Google Nexus 7
  • Otterbox Defender Case
  • Gaia GPS which allows for the downloading ot USGS topo maps, import/export of GPX files, tracks, etc.

Am I completely insane? This just seems like a much better solution as a GPS for my Adventure Touring in Colorado as I really need high res topo maps that are responsive to scrolling around while I am looking for shelter above treeline!

The only problems I can identify are the possibility of a less than stellar GPS antenna and a not totally waterproof solution. The waterproof problem could be solved by sending it to a company to have Liquipel applied.

Someone tell me I am not crazy.
Not crazy,just whining possibly due to boredom? If you want a Tablet taped to your bars do so.