View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
sintax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
2 keyboard commandos attempt to tackle the TAT

Well I think its getting close enough that I can throw this up here and start to lay out some ground work for our proposed trip.

We should start off with some background... My buddy Jim and I (Scott) were sitting around one night last Sept drinking a few beers and the topic of the TAT came up. It was a bit far fetched at first, but after a few weeks of logistics and fact checking, it quickly started to shape up into more of a possibility.

The goal of the whole trip is to use the TAT as a rough guideline for our trip. We may deviate a bit here and there as we find odd and strange things that peak our interest along the way. We are planning on doing a 75% camp, and 25% hotel configuration for sleeping if possible.

We are both IT geeks by trade, so of course all planning started in a whole mess of spreadsheets and strange links to oddball ride reports from days past.

Since we are both located in Southern California a ship/fly and ride was a only real option. We got in touch with a stellar gent named Francois who happened to run a shop called Dual Sport Touring (www.dualsporttouring.com). He's proven to go above and beyond to be helpful and help make our dreams a reality. He graciously offered to receive our bikes from the shipping company, and hang onto them for us until we flew in.

Some personal background on me. I'm a 32 yrs old and have been on a motorcycle for most of my life. I grew up at a young age riding in the deserts of CA, started riding street bikes for a bit around 16-17. Being "old" and "responsible" these days has put a bit of a damper on my riding, but I still try to get out as much as possible.

I'll be riding a 2002 Honda XR650r with all of your standard bells and whistles. Acerbis 6.6G tank, worked over suspension, 8" race light for attracting bugs.

Here she is...

sintax is offline   Reply With Quote