View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
Rockwell OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Starting issues. Battery, alternator or other?

Been having some issues starting the bike since it got off the plane from New York to Iceland.

The day after the bike arrived, the bike wouldn't start due to insufficient cranking power. We eventually got a boost from a car, and we able to start several times after stopping and shutting the bike off.

The morning after, there wasn't enough cranking power to start the bike again. We needed to get another boost, which was good for the rest of the day, starting and stopping the bike until it sat for several hours.

Does it sounds like a dying battery? Bad alternator? Or does it sound like something might be draining the battery while stopped - some sort of partial ground fault or short?

We're sort of in a small town in the middle of nowhere in Iceland. How can I test the alternator for proper output? If I disconnect the battery leads, what sort of resistance should I be seeing from the positive terminal to ground? I haven't found anyone in this town who can do a load test on batteries, so I am going to first look into other issues. I'm also going to try to clean all connections (though I only have chain cleaner with me and haven't been able to find electrical contact cleaner).