View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #42
TRUBRIT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Flexibility is the Key

I have done many trips, big groups and small, where we have planned each day and stop. Always seemed to be a lot of pressure, imagined or real, to get to this place or that by a certain time. Last one for me doing it this way was Maine, Nova Scotia, and Quebec. We were so busy racing from one Ferry to another we did not get to stop and see the areas we were riding through. Fast forward to last month where we trailered our bikes from SFL to CO Springs. The No Plan Plan. We had worked out areas and POIs we would like to see and a rough route Map. We looked at the Map and Farsons book each night and picked roads for the next day and took off. About 3 pm each day we would stop and figure out where we were likely to be around 4:30. We then used Allstays Camp and Tent App to find campsites in that area. We then called ahead for space and booked. Same if we decided on doing a Hotel that night. Getting in to a place before 5 gave us plenty of time to get set up in daylight, pick up firewood and some cold beverages. No stress. We covered a lot of ground and we stopped whenever we felt like it to take a break or take pictures. We were a mixture of back roads and dirt roads. Based on our actual time we had to make the decision to cut out a section we had put into the original plan just so we could keep with the no stress. We will just have to return and do that section. There seems to be a lot of peer pressure on not trailering a bike, but if you are a working stiff and only have X amount of time for a Vacation, you have to make the best use of the time. Rough route:
CO Springs - Rocky Mt, Nat Park- Red Lodge - Beartooth - Yellowstone - Grand Tetons - COBDR sections to Buena Vista - Cripple Creek - CO Springs.
Best Trip I have ever done. Three of us, and we were using Scala 9's which worked out great for stopping for pics and breaks.
TRUBRIT is offline   Reply With Quote